Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to connect to MySQL Server

How to connect to MySQL Server

Hello. Me again
    I am now trying to connect my second terminal to my current Terminal that I am using in a live environment. I will try to explain everything as detailed as possible and provide screenshots.

Current Terminal Settings: ( using XAMPP )
    Database: MySQL
    Database Server Address: localhost
    Database Server Port: 3306
    Database Name: peppers_pos
    User Name: 123peppers
    Database Password:xxxxxx

New Terminal Settings:
    Database: MySQL
    Database Server Address: 192.168.1.23 ( I was able to ping this number successfully from the new Terminal )
    Database Server Port: 3306
    Database Name: peppers_pos
    User Name: 123peppers
    Database Password:xxxxxx

With these settings, the connection Fails.
    Both terminals are behind and on the same router. I verified that Port 3306 is open ( verified on both terminals ). All other ports are closed.
    I am not sure what I am missing in order to synchronize both Terminals.

Ping from new Terminal.jpgMain Terminal.jpgMain Terminal (2).jpg
    Owner of Peppers Restaurant, Bakery & Cafe in Ubon Ratchathani Thailand.
    Using: Floreant 1.4 Build 705, 15" Touchscreen ( Windows 7 SP1, 2GB Ram, 1,86GHZ Atom CPU ), Epson TM-T82 ( LAN ), Cash Drawer connected with RJ11 to Epson ), Database: Derby Single

It's most likely your windows firewall (or other firewall you are using) is blocking the traffic. You will need to allow inbound traffic on port 3306. Also unless you have a fixed IP address you should use a DNS name to reference the machine with the database otherwise at some point in the future your setup will stop working when the IP address of the server changes.

Thank you.
    I made sure that on both terminals port 3306 is open. I ran a couple of tests ( http://canyouseeme.org/ and http://portchecker.co/ ). Both confirmed 3306 is open. Interestingly ALL OTHER ports were closed ( including 21/22/80 etc ).
    I will look into assigning a fixed IP address / DNS before going live with the new terminal. I would like to first get it to work and from there on fine tune it

Edit: On both computers the firewalls are off. The only firewall open is the router firewall to which I opened port 3306.
    Also, current terminal is Windows 7
    New Terminal is Windows 8.1 if that matters

In the meantime I will continue testing
    Using: Floreant 1.4 Build 705, 15" Touchscreen ( Windows 7 SP1, 2GB Ram, 1,86GHZ Atom CPU ), Epson TM-T82 ( LAN ), Cash Drawer connected with RJ11 to Epson ), Database: Derby Single

First you need allow remote connections on mysql server. Find "bind-adress" in mysql.conf and comment or delete. On default set 127.0.0.1. Thats mean only local host can connect to server

Also check the MySQL user to ensure that in the field "Limit to Hosts Matching" you have % and not localhost.

Try turning off your DHCP and turning off DHCP auto config also from your router. My home set up's DHCP is disabled and after a quick look of work place system seems same. (Just don't forget your set up in case if it doesn't work.)

Hi NiwPix, are you able to connect your terminal to MySQL server or still in limbo?

Hi, Thanks for asking.
    I am still in limbo, but haven't tried everything suggested yet.
    - I changed to allow remote connections that omalov suggested ( It was still at default ). That didnt fix the problem
    - I tried your suggestion and disabled DHCP on my router and that didnt work.

I still need to check that I have % for Limit to Hosts matching....maaaaybe that'll work
    Also, I do have another internet line and different router. I will try connecting them to that and see if that maybe will help. Unfortunately I do not understand tooo much about networking ( basics I get and can follow clear instructions or research how to do something if I know what to look for . I also have an IT guy who is willing to help out when he's at the restaurant. He suggested if all else fails to connect to a remote server. Downside would be that if the restaurant loses internet connection for whatever reason, the pos system would be down. Can somebody confirm this?

Are you putting the right password and user name for the database? Because as i was learning i changed the passwords, database names, user names knowingly and unknowingly a few times and would that be a case for you? Capital letters, small letters? and here is my screen shot.MySQLJPEG.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aogonearth; 05-10-2017 at 03:07 AM.

I did make sure username and password are correct. I had no luck connecting so far.
    This coming week I will try to connect to an external Server and see how that works. Once I have this working, I can focus more on bug reporting and duplicating errors. With my current setup, I only have one POS and thats in constant use. No time to trouble shoot. Having a second terminal and also being able to connect the office computer will make things sooo much easier . Will keep you guys posted.